Copyright 2007-2011 Kimberley Woodhouse

All content and photographs unless otherwise noted All rights reserved

No Safe Haven Book Trailer

Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Have This Friend...

Do you have friends that stick to you like glue, even when you embarrass yourself or do something stupid? I want to hear your stories.

I have a friend who loves me, and is always encouraging me that, "there is only one Kim." (Many people are probably thinking, "Praise God, there's only one!" Because I am a little on the crazy side.)

And I have several friends who stick with me even through my insane schedule and lack of communication. (I am SO thankful for that!)

And I have friends who started out as teaching buddies, grew into scrapbook buddies, Bible Study buddies -and then into the closest of friends - who knows how God is going to bless you with that special friend!

And I have a friend that has shared some of life's most difficult moments. We have been through the "wringer" together.

So, I'm going to tell you a story about one of my friends. My sister was getting married, and I was doing the cakes, catering, dresses, flowers, etc. This friend and I traveled together for the week of wedding preparation - otherwise known as code words "wedding chaos."

We had 4 kids in car-seats. In a mini-van. With ALL the stuff for the wedding (i.e. cake pans, all the cake decorating paraphenalia, flowers, pedestals, bows, etc.) Not to mention luggage and diaper bags, things to entertain the munchkins -- oh, and a TV/VCR bunjie-corded in for the kids to watch. (Anyone who knows me, knows that I am prepared for EVERYTHING - and do not under any circumstances, "travel light.")Go ahead and laugh.

Let's pause for a moment and really let that sink in. Deep Breath. You're probably all thinking that we were crazy. Well, that's beside the point - even if it is true.

An hour outside of our little town, we got lost in a city. The little highway we were following, zig-zagged through the big city, but for some unknown reason - the signs weren't all there to tell us which way to turn to follow said highway. Yeah. That was fun. We were in Louisiana, and needed to make it to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Oh boy.

Four adorably-sweet-children all asked at the same time, "are we in Tennesseesseessee yet?" Questions about our location were banned from that moment on. Of course, they were our chatter-box babies, and other questions filled the trip - but not about where we were at any given time. We told them we were on an adventure. And we were.

I still don't know how we survived that week. I do remember arriving in Tennessee the next day, and I vaguely remember a trip to the aquarium - and my friend and the kiddos going on a train ride. Other than that, it's all a blur of cake, cake, and more cake, buttercream icing, cheesecakes, heart-shaped crab dips, heart-shaped ice cubes, and lots of other heart-shapes... and purple... and lights... lots of lights. Oh, and don't forget the golf-course cake for my brother-in-law-to-be whose birthday was the day before the wedding, and the hundreds of chocolate-covered strawberries.

But - we will never forget the fun, and the bond we shared. It was such a special trip in so many different ways, and a crazy escapade.

So, I would love to hear some of your stories. What does "friend" mean to you? Someone you can cry with? Someone you can laugh with? Someone you can bare your soul to? Someone who will love you no matter what you do? Let me hear about that - comment on this blog, or email me through the website. Let me know if you mind your story being shared or not.

And to all of my wonderful friends - you know who you are - Thanks for sticking with me through thick and thin.