Copyright 2007-2011 Kimberley Woodhouse

All content and photographs unless otherwise noted All rights reserved

No Safe Haven Book Trailer

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Heads' Up... 7-UP!

No, I'm not talking about the game. I'm speaking about an incident in a Safeway parking lot, late... just the other night.

You see, after swim team, we headed to the grocery store to pick up a few more items for our Christmas Party. The cart was loaded up, and we headed out into the brisk, 18-degree, Colorado temperatures.

Upon exiting the store, the cases of 7-Up, which were on the bottom of the cart - began to slide. We were a mere ten feet from my truck when the first case went crashing into the pavement. I wasn't concerned until Kayla noticed a hissing sound coming from the case. I scurried around trying to get the case opened and pulled the spewing can from the pack. Problem solved, right?

Um... no.

While Heather took the offending can to the trash can, I attempted to check the rest of the case. But when your hands are frozen, and there's sticky 7-Up "juice" all over everything - it becomes a little tricky.

I dropped another can.

And it couldn't just fall and spill out onto the ground. No that would be too easy. This is ME we're talking about.

It fell, spewed, and rolled. Like the oscillating sprinklers we used to run through as kids. Back and forth the spray of 7-Up flew into the air. I don't know if it's our high elevation or what, but that sticky-sweet soda sprayed higher than any sprinkler I've ever had the privilege of playing in. I ducked. Behind the grocery cart - yes, I know - smart move on my part.

The can finally lost it's pressure and we were able to retrieve it and throw it away - but I was covered in droplets of 7-Up. My long wool coat was covered, my hair was covered, my eyebrows and eyelashes were covered.

And there I was - standing outside in the chilly weather - wet and sticky from my 7-Up sprinkler. I couldn't get in my vehicle that way, and I definitely didn't want the stuff all over my beautiful coat - so I asked Kayla to grab baby-wipes from the truck.

So as my fingers froze - Heather and I attempted to de-stickify my coat and purse. Laughing the whole time about how quickly baby wipes froze, the numbness of the cold temperatures, and my life... it's one adventure after another.

Jeremy rolled his eyes at me and laughed when I told him the story at home - and of course he shared with my friends his favorite saying, "If something's going to happen, it's going to happen to Kim."