Copyright 2007-2011 Kimberley Woodhouse

All content and photographs unless otherwise noted All rights reserved

No Safe Haven Book Trailer

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Fire Department Guys

Ever since Kayla was about three years old, we have always done an alert with our local fire department and/or police department when we move. Why you ask? Well, let's just say we had an incident where we needed to evacuate our house, but couldn't evacuate the house because of the heat outside. Long story - but a lesson learned.

Anyway, our fire department here is about the best I've seen. They really care. They have educated themselves on my kiddos' needs, and check on us periodically.

Today was one of those days. Bob and Darin were in the neighborhood checking on something else, and stopped to chat with us. I can't adequately explain what it feels like to have a daughter with a rare condition that most people don't understand -- but even more so, I can't explain how amazing it is to feel safe and secure, because someone has taken the time to care and understand. I know now that in an emergency situation these guys will be watching out for our very different and overwhelming needs.

I have learned over the years to watch my daughter for clues about anything and everything. The doctors are even more cautious since they don't usually see her on a day-to-day basis. She can't feel or express things that come naturally to you or me. So - to have this feeling of security, safety, comfort - is huge. And I mean HUGE.

In other words, this little post is a thank you and a tribute to my Fire Guys. I appreciate them more than words can say, and from my mother's heart I want to give them my gratitude.

A big ole pot of jambalaya seems to pale in comparison for all you do, but I hope you all understand how much your care and concern mean to us.

Thank you.