Copyright 2007-2011 Kimberley Woodhouse

All content and photographs unless otherwise noted All rights reserved

No Safe Haven Book Trailer

Monday, March 17, 2008

Faith, Faith, Faith... Just A Little Bit of Faith

Do you remember that song? It's the first thing that popped into my head when I started writing this post. :)

My adorable and creative son, Josh, loves snow. (Well, we all do - we did move here from Alaska!) And he calls the snow here in Colorado, "wimpy." There was a forecast of snow yesterday, and lots of times it doesn't happen - so we asked Josh to pray for snow. But before I go on, there's more to this story...

When Josh was about three years old, and Kayla about one year old, we were in southern Arkansas. Josh had been fixated with the idea of snow, and so at bedtime - he did the only logical thing for a three-year-old to do - he prayed for snow.

The next day - it snowed thirteen inches! Yes, in a place where they never get snow - it SNOWED!! Josh told me that morning - "I got faith, Mommy!"

"You sure do, Josh... you sure do!" I laughed, and my heart overflowed with love for my little boy with the faith of a multitude.

A year later, we were in Tennessee visiting my family for Christmas. They didn't have any snow on the ground, so guess what Josh did? You guessed it! He prayed for snow.

And do you know what happens next?

Yep. It snowed. A LOT!

And the story doesn't end there! The next Christmas we were in South Louisiana. I mean SOUTH, when I say that. They don't even know what snow is down there... (I'm from there, so I can safely say that.)

So, Josh prayed for snow. The next day... we woke up to snow covering the ground.

Soon after, we moved to Alaska. Josh told me that God had a sense of humor, because He sent us to a place where he (Josh) wouldn't need to pray for snow anymore! :)

Now, some of you may be thinking, "all I have to do is pray for what I want, and I'll get it!" Ummm... no. But think with me for a minute about Josh's prayers. Josh didn't just pray for it. He had faith backing it up. A LOT of faith. Untainted by the cynicism of this world. He knew God could do it, and he prayed for it.

Again, just because you pray for something, does not mean it's going to happen - but we do need to pray in faith. Sometimes God answers "no", sometimes "wait", and sometimes "yes." If you were to pray, "Lord, I really need a new job..." but in your mind, you're thinking, "but it won't happen, I'm not good enough for anything else, I'll just be miserable the rest of my life." Are you praying in faith?

Matthew 17:19-20 says, -Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?" And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you." - (NASB)

Some people, as adults, lose a lot of their faith. Their vision gets tinted with the view from the world, and the ugliness around them. Pessimism and cynicism and negativity seem to reign. But how about we put on that child-like faith? Isn't that what God wants?

Josh prayed for snow. And it snowed. He prayed for his sister when she had brain surgery, he prays every night for our family and friends. His faith is strong. He knows that God may not always answer the way he 'wants' - but he knows that His answer will be the right one. God is good, and HE is God.

Faith, faith, faith... just a little bit of faith.

I want to go play in the snow :)